University of Hawaii lawprofs Carl Christensen and Williamson Chang have kindly asked me to visit their Legal History of Hawaii class (Law 520D) on Thursday, September 19, 2013, and guest lecture on the topic of "Land Reform and the 'Public Use' Factor in Eminent Domain: Midkiff, Kelo, County of Hawaii v. C & J Coupe."
In preparation for that session, here's the reading list:
- Kaiser Aetna v. United States, 444 U.S. 164 (1979).
- Hawaii Housing Auth. v. Midkiff, 467 U.S. 229 (1984).
- County of Hawaii v. C & J Coupe Family Ltd. P'ship, 119 Haw. 352, 198 P.3d 615 (2008).
If you have additional time, read these two briefs as well:
- Our amicus brief in support of the property owner in Kelo v. City of New London, 545 U.S. 469 (2005).
- The cert petition seeking Supreme Court review of the Hawaii Supreme Court's decision in Coupe II, 124 Haw. 281, 242 P.3d 1136 (2010).
I'm looking forward to this session.