For those of you attending the Virginia Eminent Domain Conference, here's the expanded papers on "Tough Takings Questions: Regulatory Takings, Zoning Issues and Judicial Takings" and Public Use issues.
Use the password provided at the conference to open the pdf's. It's the same p/w for both. If you forgot the password, email me.
For those who did not attend, sorry folks, there are some benefits to coming to a conference! Y'all are going to have to wait for a bit -- after a decent interval to allow the attendees to get their money's worth, we'll remove the password.
For more about the cases and books we discussed yesterday during my presentation on "Virginia's Place in National Eminent Domain Trends, check these out:
- Hawaii Housing Authority v. Midkiff, 467 U.S. 229 (1984) (private takings, Public Use Clause).
- Lingle v. Chevron, U.S.A., Inc., 544 U.S. 528 (2005) (gas station rent control, and the demise of the "substantially advance" test as a takings test).
- Kaiser Aetna v. United States, 444 U.S. 164 (1979) (navigable waters, regulatory takings).
- Livingston v. Virginia Dep’t of Transportation, 726 S.E.2d 264 (Va. 2012) (flooding and taking liability).
- James Ely, The Guardian of Every Other Right: A Constitutional History of Property Rights (1998) (read this book!).